Sunday 28 June 2015

Buy Clare a pizza from Il Giardino Degli Dei


15 years ago, I accompanied my Nanna on a few trips to Italy and would stay with one of my Aunties.  I always took the top terrace which over looked great grandad's land that had been divided up between his children.

Part of great grandad's old house was rented by a takeway pizza shop and the chimney from the oven was funneled right next to this terrace, so every night I would get the smell of cooking pizza and every night the temptation would be too much and Zio (uncle) Renato would take me down, order pizza and I would be back upstairs with delight in my eyes and belly.

This small pizzeria became more and more popular with the locals and soon became a busy restaurant needing expansion.  When my Auntie and Uncle decided to leave this plain of existence, Marco (the owner) bought the land and increased the restaurant again.

Clare and I have visited Italy on several occasions, but never stopped for too long in San Eustacchio as we were always relying on public transport to get us back to Sorrento (our holiday destination).  However, with my cousin Toni and Rosaria inviting the English family over to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary, it seemed like a perfect excuse to show Clare how I remember Italy,  family based, no tourists, great food and wine and Marco's pizzeria.

The restaurant has expanded massively since my last visit and my memories of the small pizzeria, it is now a busy pizzeria with famous people visiting on a regular basis.  Even the Pope has been to Degli Dei for Pizza!

Our first night in Salerno, family from Italy, England and Australia went to celebrate Simon's (my cousin who moved to Oz) 45 birthday.  We started with bread, cheese and meats followed by croutons, cheese filled balls and other delights, but the highlight for me is the buffalo mozzarella.  Nowhere in the world can you get mozzarella that tastes as good as in Italy.  I have been let down so many times by the tasteless mush from Tesco's or Asda.

After our massive, help yourself, starter the pizza's started to come out.  Margherita's, Diavolo's, Parma Ham, flavours upon flavours, each one of them mouthwateringly delicious and perfectly stone baked.  A great night to start our Salerno holiday, but as I did't pay the bill I couldn't claim this one as a completed task, that is my excuse as why we went back again and I'm sticking to it.

The following night we had gone to Degli Dei for a takeway pizza to eat at my cousin Sabrina's house.  When we arrived at Sabrina's, she had prepared some nibbles and wine for us as well, so what initially was a little takeaway pizza turned into a full meal, not that I was complaining.  This night we had opted for a Diavolo Pizza, spicy meat, Clare did enjoy this but said that she wanted to pick the pizza for me to claim the challenge successfully completed.  This would mean another visit to the restaurant!

 On our final night in Salerno, once again we visited Degli Dei for a sit down meal.

This time we had bigger mozzarella, more parma ham, more amazing food, but then came the pizza choice.  Clare had looked at the menu this time and really fancied the "Lasagne Pizza", a tomato based pizza topped with Mozzerella, Parma Ham and Ricotta Chesse.



I know Clare was really impressed with the food at Degli Dei and was happy to be based in the environment.  I would love to take more people to experience this restaurant and encourage everyone to try proper Italian Pizza at least once, and if you are going, you might as well sample a little buffalo mozzarella whilst you are at it!




Pizza in Italy is in a league of it's own and pizza at Degli Dei is the top of that league.  With the Pope happy to eat there, it must be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment