Saturday 3 May 2014

Grave Site/Birth Place of a Cultural Icon



J.R.R Tolkien (03/05/14)

Celebrating my brother's 40th birthday was spread out over a couple of weeks, with a cycle weekend around Shropshire to start and then a relaxing weekend in the Cotswolds.   
Whilst there, I thought I would treat my niece and nephew to a trip to the graveyard as Wolvercote Cemetery was not that far away which is the final resting place of the true Lord of the Rings, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.

What I thought would be a little challenge to find turned out to be pretty much sign posted all the way, they must have had a few geeks looking for his grave in the past so just thought it would be easier to put a few arrows in place.

Nothing too fancy, just a marble gravestone with Gandalf the White on top,  J.R.R Tolkien is buried with his wife.

I remember reading "The Hobbit" at a very early age, and fell in love with Bilbo and his adventures, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy came later once I had heard the films were being made.  I also remember avidly watching the animated version of The Lord of the Rings with my brother when we were just little.







MiddleEarth has always been a place I have loved as well as a Galaxy Far Far Away, so to pay my respect to the creator was something I can class as visiting a Cultural Icon. 

I am looking forward to the final installment of The Hobbit trilogy this December and the review will be on my Cinema Blog (Pondo's Year of Cinema)


Robert Burns
(26/09/2013)

In September, both Clare and I needed a break away from everything and our lodge in Gadgrith (Annbank, Scotland) was pretty much as far away from anything as we could imagine.  With a log fire for the cold nights (and mornings) and a steam room for after my morning runs, it was just what we needed.

Whilst we enjoyed our week in Ayrshire, we also had the experience of visiting the Sky Dark Observatory, Loch Doon, Glasgow, Ayr and Loch Lomond.

Just down the road from Ayr is Alloway, Birthday place of Robert Burns.  Now not being a Scot, or knowing much more about him than toasting Haggis, Neeps and Tatties in January I cannot claim this as a cultural Icon for me.  I did knock at the door of his birthplace....but no-one was in










No comments:

Post a Comment