Sunday 27 July 2014

See Monty Python Perform Live


When I originally set up the idea for my 40 before 40 list, the items that made the shortlist would be a challenge in most parts and may cost a little money, but they were feasible and I had a chance of doing them even if some are more difficult than others.

One thing I would have loved to have seen would have been Queen perform live, but due to Freddie Mercury taking an early departure from this plane of existence, this is something that could never be completed so therefore did not make the 40 before 40 list.

Another thing I thought I would never see happen due to a cast member joining the choir invisible got a glimmer of hope early in 2014.  Monty Python announced they would be doing a 1 night only comeback tour at the O2 arena in London and tickets would be on sale.  Those tickets sold out in 42 seconds.

My brother and sister-in-law were fortunate enough to purchase tickets in that 42 second window, but were slightly miffed when upon the "unexpected ticket sale response", the Pythons announced that they would extend the tour to a 10 night performance.  My brother asked if he could get tickets for the second night if I would be up for coming to the show.  Now as I stated earlier, if the challenge was feasible and I had a chance of doing them then I would jump at the chance.  The show in question was on a Tuesday night, in London which would mean three days off work (unpaid as I had booked all my holidays), I would need transport to London and back, accommodation and the cost of the ticket, this was getting slightly unfeasible.

 I reluctantly declined.

As a young child I was exposed to the genius of Monty Python TV show and films through my brother and cousin Gill, who both were a massive influence on my film upbringing.  There are now many family gatherings were at least one Python line will be uttered, from the Rat Race uttering, "It's only a flesh wound", to "Splitter", and anything that is "Wafer Thin".  Holy Grail and Life of Brian are and always will be special films in my life because of those memories.

I was also bought "Monty Python Sings" (The Music Sheet book) for the keyboard, and from learning to play all the songs, I subsequently seem to have learned all the lyrics too, and they have been instilled into my brain.

A couple of days after the announcement of the live o2 tour, Cineworld proclaimed that they would be showing the last performance live at selected cinemas across the country and Bolton (my local) would be one of those cinemas.  Also, with me being a member of Cineworld, my ticket price would be deducted by £10.00 only to cost me a fantastic £8.....

It was only during the opening moments that I realised that seeing Monty Python perform live is something that I had always dreamed of, hearing the songs, the sketches performed with pure genius, and the occasional pop up from Graham Chapman via the powers of technology.  Genuinely, I have not laughed as much at the cinema for a very long time.

See my full review of the night here: Monty Python Live Mostly : Pondo's Year of Cinema

It was in the closing number where this reality really hit, when Eric Idle and his guitar joined by all the other Pythons in white suits and many special celebrity guests donned the stage and began to sing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life".

 As the song came to a close, I had a tear rolling down my cheek.  A great moment that was as powerful as much as it as comedic.

Thank you Cineworld for the chance of capturing this show and proving that life will find a way




"If life seems jolly rotten, There's something you've forgotten! And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing." - Great words to live by




No comments:

Post a Comment