Sunday 1 December 2013

Eat something way out of my comfort zone


McBushtucker Trial

Whilst in Edinburgh for our first Anniversary, Clare challenged me to try meal worm, crispy barbecued meal worm.  Now I am a big fan of BBQ's so I thought, surely this would just taste like anything BBQ'd...perfect!

How wrong I was.....

Tasting like crispy sawdust with heavy dusting of BBQ powder this was a texture that would not leave my mouth for hours.

On the journey back from Edinburgh (hours later), I was still finding bits lurking around my mouth. mmmm

Not up there on the "something I would eat again" scale, this is the furthest I have venture from my comfort zone.

Looks like I will have to go more extreme with my next choice


 <-------Before                                                   After--------->







Wild Boar Burger

With Bolton Food and Drink festival hitting the Town Hall Square once more, I thought I would have to try the next selection of meat on the menu.  Having tried Kangaroo Burgers and Venison I opted for the Wild Boar.  The option of onions seemed a perfect accompaniment, whereas the cheese on top was not.

Whilst I thought this would taste like a variety of pork, I was pleasantly surprised by the beefy, very meaty taste.

Thank you Bolton Food Market for once more bringing alternative meats to the menu

I also purchased some Kangaroo Sausages for breakfast with the family this weekend.


Bouncy Burgers

Finally, the sun decided to shine for longer than one day and the temperature went up past 10 degrees, so the BBQ had to be lit.

Perfect opportunity to try a new meat, Kangaroo.
Verdict: Tasted like a smokey meat, very little fat and very tasty.  Yes, I would have them again




No Horse, but other meats are available

Whilst shopping in Bolton today (24/03/2013) we stumbled across a food market, one stall was selling various cuts of meat not usually on the shelves of Tesco (Beef, Chicken, Horse)

Unfortunately, they were all out of fresh Ostrich and Kangaroo Burgers but they did have pre-packed Crocodile steak and frozen Kangaroo.


Tonight for my tea, whilst Clare is enjoying a nice medallion rump beef steak, I will be venturing into my first step of the unknown and munching down a fillet crocodile steak with veg and rustic chips.

The Verdict: Tastes like chicken with a texture of pork.  No fat.
Enjoyed it, and would have it again.
Nice seared with a little garlic and chilli to start with....but isn't everything?

No comments:

Post a Comment